Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Decision or Emotion...

Recently, I saw the movie ‘Love Aaj Kal’. Though I’m not a big fan of any new Hindi movies, but since Kaddu had suggested me to give it a look, and also because it was one of those nights when sleep was nowhere in sight, I decided to… well… give it a look.

There are movies which entertain you right throughout. And then there are movies which portray reality. But then there are a few which, while portraying reality, also try to send across a message. Most often, it is a rather concealed message which only those with ample understanding capabilities can actually take out after watching that movie. This was one such movie.

I don’t intend this post to be a spoiler for all those who haven’t yet watched ‘Love Aaj Kal’. So, I’ll not go into the plot and surely not discuss the end. But I’ll just share what I felt after watching it.

The movie aptly depicts how the present generation of youngsters treats love. If you look around yourself, you will see people running helter-skelter in pursuit of their careers. Something, which is actually quite good both for an individual and for the society in which he or she lives. But it is when people complicate things by bringing love or relationships in between their career goals, that the problems start.

In fact, what I don’t understand is, whether people are in search of love or in search of a relationship in their lives. Personally, I’ve started to feel that there is a difference between the two.

A person always tries to achieve all the requirements of a successful life. It begins with acquiring the best of education, leading to a job which earns him a handful more than that’s required for a luxurious life. I guess that should be satisfying enough for anyone who intends to be successful. But somewhere I feel that in today’s times, people consider themselves to be successful by not what they have achieved, but by what others think that they have achieved.

I guess I’m drifting from the topic here. But coming back to it, a relationship is now just another necessity people tend to add to their achievements. Just like a car is a necessity for a working person in today’s times, so is a relationship. People, more than anything, need to be known to be going around with someone. But just as a person cannot take his car along with him or her if he shifts to another country, similarly does he act in case of relationships.

And that is what this movie, 'Love Aaj Kal' portrays very well, that for today’s youth, long-distance relationships don’t work. So, as a person is happy to sell off his old car before shifting to a new place for better work options, he is equally happy to break off his or her relationship too. Even to the extent of throwing a break-up party… !!!

I agree to the fact that people have their own career dreams. Some are nurtured right from childhood. But should the pursuit of a dream be such that it doesn’t even care about the most important people in one’s own life ?? In other words, can a dream career/fame/big pay-package take preference over love in one’s life ?

It can’t… ! And if it does, it is not love. It is just a relationship. Because love can never be a hindrance to any dream. In fact, it is a great motivating factor towards any achievement a person dreams of. One can break-up a relationship. But one can never break-up love.

People tend to show that they have different priorities. For them their career dreams are above anything else. Even love. But personally, I feel that such people have never loved. How can job/money/fame be more important than a soul mate ??

And that is probably what this movie portrays about love aaj-kal. The youngsters of today are confusing love with relationships. They consider a relationship to be an essential part of their success in life. And for that, they use their brains in the matters of the heart.

But what they don’t understand is, if it’s really love, there is no amount of thinking the brain can do to get matters straight. It is only the heart that can.

Sometime back I read a quotation somewhere which said, “Love is a decision, not an emotion.”

But personally, I always feel that...


‘Love is a wonderful emotion; it can never be a decision.’




Those of you who find it tough to manage their ‘relationship’ (long-distance or otherwise), along with working hard in pursuit of your career dreams should surely watch this movie.

28 comments:

  1. Love this post! Written with such clarity... and all that I might have wanted to say if I had to write a post on this movie! Just PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaddu :

    :D

    Hehehe.... I guess I read your mind.... :p

    Thanks a lot, anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! i so completely can relate with this write-up also can i also add that if i were to write this it would've been somewhere near to this if not as apt as yours, but nonetheless you've done a marvellous job.
    I loved it :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmi :

    Thanks for the appreciation. :) Well, this was going around in my mind for long. And when I saw the movie, I just couldn't help putting it all into words.

    I've been witness to a lot of people confusing relationships for love. I sincerely hope that not only those but a lot more people stop trying to use their brains and listen to what their heart says in such matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey hopped into this post from Kaddu's post on this.. Brilliant post.. very well written.. and yeah even I have seen people changing relationships as if changing cars.. I am adding a link to this post on my post (since it is about the same topic)

    ReplyDelete
  6. evanescentthoughts :

    Hey, thanks for hopping by and commenting on my blog. :)

    I'm on my way now to hop onto your blog too. :D Keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. workhard :

    Yeah. Now that you have heard, why not see it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Shobhit.... I agree to each and every word written out there by you, this movie was one of those which got a mixed response and in spite of the very 'not-so-good' feedback about the movie I Loved it...as you said it sent a message across...

    Kudos to You..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garima :

    Yes. It did send across an important message. If only people could grasp it... sigh...

    Do keep visiting and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post.

    One can break-up a relationship. But one can never break-up love.

    How very well said.
    Totally agree with you!

    And I like your version of the quote.Makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sugar Cube :

    Thanks. Keep visiting and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post. It's so well written. I'm reccomending this post on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swapna Raghu Sanand :

    Thanks for visiting. :) Find me on your blog too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. The post was good.

    My friend gave me this movie and thought it is the all time thaka movie so I did not watch it.

    After reading your post I feel like watching it.

    Will give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Abhilash :

    Well, do give it a try. Not for anything else but for the message it delivers.

    Thanks for coming by and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Shobhit, good write up and soo true!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sapna :

    Thanks for visiting and appreciating my post. Do keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its true ... how people consider career over their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rohit Dassani :

    Yeah... Strange priorities...

    ReplyDelete
  20. With utmost satisfaction, i would like to inform you that this post of yours has been selected as a suiting piece to honor my newly installed wall of fame.
    (http://rsvwalloffame.blogspot.com/)

    THIS POST WAS NOMINATED BY evanescencethoughts

    So, I would like you to take out some of your precious time and gimme a small writeup introducing this post in about 40-50 words to mail address:rahul938@gmail.com
    I would also appreciate it if you could nominate some more posts(including yours) which can be pinned up on my wall.

    yours truly
    RSV

    ReplyDelete
  21. RSV :

    Thanks a lot to you for selecting this post in your wall of fame. :) I'll surely send you the required write-up for it.

    And thanks a lot to evanescenethoughts for nominating it in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe this picture is appropriate here:
    http://ajitjagan.blogspot.com/2009/12/broken-heart.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ajit :

    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. very rightly said..esp liked ur clarity of thought.

    >love is a positive emotion.
    >relationship just for the heck of it,is simply convenience based.
    >whereever love is concerned, only the heart decides. (come on,its not a deal.its a feeling. )
    Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Magus :

    Yes. Those are exactly the points that people really mix up.

    Thanks for the appreciation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmmm, quite contrasting to my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Soumya :

    :-) But the topic was pretty similar. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...